Here we have listed all the major changes which UPSC has introduced in Civil Engineering syllabus of ESE/IES 2017. Candidates have to prepare ESE/IES 2017 as per new paper pattern & Syllabus. Using this post candidates can analyse what UPSC has changes in Civil Engineering syllabus of ESE/IES 2017.
What are the major changes in ESE/IES 2017 ?
1. Written exam will be in two stages : Preliminary (objective) and Mains (conventional). If you clear prelims, then only you will be eligible for mains.
2. Grand total marks are increased from 1200 to 1300 in written examination, and weightage of various subjects are as follows :
|Topic||Old scheme||Revised scheme|
|General studies – Objective||20% (200Marks out of 1000)||18.19% (200 Marks out of 1100)|
|Technical subjects – Objective||40% (400 marks out of 1000)||27.28% (300 marks out of 1100)|
|Technical subjects – Conventional||40% (400 marks out of 1000)||54.55% (600 marks out of 1100)|
General Studies and Engineering Aptitude
Note : Stage I – Paper I, Objective type, Common to all Candidates, 2 hours duration, 200 Marks maximum
|Old Syllabus||Revised Syllabus|
|Part A : General English : The question paper in General English will be designed to test the candidate’s understanding of English and workmanlike use of words.|
Part B : General Studies : The paper in General Studies will include knowledge of current events and of such matters as of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspects as may be expected of an educated person. The paper will also include questions on History of India and Geography of a nature which candidates should be able to answer without special study.
|1. Current issues of national and international importance relating to social, economic and industrial development.|
2. Engineering Aptitude covering Logical reasoning and Analytical ability.
3. Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis.
4. General Principles of Design, Drawing, Importance of Safety.
5. Standards and Quality practices in production, construction,
maintenance and services.
6. Basics of Energy and Environment : Conservation, environmental.
pollution and degradation, Climate Change, Environmental impact
7. Basics of Project Management.
8. Basics of Material Science and Engineering.
9. Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) based tools and their applications in Engineering such as networking, e-governance and technology based education.
10. Ethics and values in Engineering profession.
What are the major changes in ESE/IES General Studies and Engineering Aptitude section ?
1. General English is not mentioned in the new scheme.
2. General studies and engineering aptitude is fully revised. This is a very big change and so in depth preparation is compulsory as marks securedin every stage will be considered for final merit.
3. Aptitude (logical and analytical) and engineering mathematics are included.
4. Classical general studies like history, geography, life sciences etc, topics are not mentioned.
5. Design, drawing, project management, environmental issues, ICT tools are new topics in this section.
6. Ethics and values are also added here which are already present in civil services examination.
7. Questions from all the 10 topics mentioned above shall be set. Marks for each Topic may range from 5% to 15% of the total marks in the paper.
Note: Contents for syllabus of both the Papers together for Stage-I objective type Paper–II and separately for Stage-II Conventional type Paper-I and Paper – II
|S. No.||Old syllabus||Revised syllabus|
|1.||Building Materials||Building Materials|
|2.||Solid Mechanics||Solid Mechanics|
|3.||Structural Analysis||Structural Analysis|
|4.||Design of Steel Structures||Design of Steel Structures|
|5.||Design of Concrete and Masonry structures||Design of Concrete and Masonry structures|
|6.||Construction Practice, Planning and Management||Construction Practice, Planning and Management|
What are the major changes in Civil Engineering Paper I ?
1. No major change in paper I.
|S. No.||Old syllabus||Revised syllabus|
|1.||Flow of Fluids, Hydraulic Machines and Hydro Power||Flow of Fluids, Hydraulic Machines and Hydro Power|
|2.||Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering||Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering|
|3.||Environmental Engineering||Environmental Engineering|
|4.||Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering||Geo-technical Engineering and Foundation Engineering|
|5.||Surveying & Transportation Engineering||Surveying and Geology|
What are the major changes in Civil Engineering Paper II ?
1. Water Supply Engineering, Waste Water Engineering & Solid Waste Management named as Environmental Engineering.
2. Soil Mechanics named as Geo-technical Engineering.
3. Surveying named as Surveying and Geology.
4. No major change in paper II.
IES/ESE GS & EA Books
IES/ESE Guide Books
Related Posts :
Click below given links to get further information.
Be a Part of The New & Next
Share the Knowledge