“Who are some of the well-known IES officers ?
What are some most famous ESE officers ?”
You all must have this kind of questions in your mind. Below article will solve this puzzle of yours. Just take a look.”
IES/ESE Notable Officers – Indian Engineering Services include technical and managerial services for government of India. This is one of the main reason why many engineering & technology graduates want to work as IES officer. Here we are listing some of the well known IES officer who are serving/served the nation with their engineering & technology skills.
1. Narinder Singh Kapany – Former IOFS officer, FREng, “Father of Fibre Optics”, also known as “The Man who Bent Light”, invented fibre optics that revolutionalised telecommunication, power transmission, laparoscopic and endoscopic surgery etc. Named as one of the seven “Unsung Heroes of the 20th century” by Fortune magazine for his Nobel Prize deserving invention. Former Professor at Stanford, Universities of California at Berkeley, Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz. Has more than 150 patents to his credit.
2. Nalini Ranjan Mohanty – Former IOFS officer. Secured All India 2nd Rank in the Engineering Services Examination of 1965, served as the Chairman & Managing Director of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, Director of Kudremukh Iron Ore Company, Mahanadi Coalfields, National Aluminium Company (NALCO), Bharat Earth Movers (BEML). Awarded Padma Shri in 2004 by the Government of India for his role in the development of LCA – Tejas.
3. Rajendra K. Pachauri – Former IRSME officer. Served as Chair of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change during which the organisation received the Nobel Prize in 2007. Also served as Director General of The Energy and Resources Institute, India. Received Padma Bhushan, Padma Vibhushan by the Government of India, Order of the White Rose of Finland by the Finnish Government, Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star by the Japanese Government and Légion d’Honneur by the French Government.
4. H. P. S. Ahluwalia – Former IOFS officer, FRGS. Author, Mountaineer, Social Worker. He is the first Indian to climb Mount Everest. Founder & Chairman of Indian Spinal Injuries Centre. Awarded Arjuna Award, Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan by the Government of India. Also served as a Commissioned officer in the Indian Army and Member of Planning Commission (India).
5. Ashwani Lohani – IRSME officer, current Chairman & Managing Director of Air India. Holds a Limca Record for having four “engineering degree equivalents” in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering and Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering from Institution of Engineers, India; a place in the Guinness Book of World Records for successfully running the ‘Fairy Queen Express’, the world’s oldest working steam locomotive. Also served as DRM, Delhi Division; Director, National Rail Museum; Chief Administrative Officer, Rail Alternate Fuels; Commissioner and Managing Director of Madhya Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation and Chairman & Managing Director India Tourism Development Corporation.
6. K. C. Banerjee – Joined as an IOFS officer. Awarded Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian honour by the Government of India, presented by the President of India in 1967, for his contributions during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965 as the General Manager of Rifle Factory Ishapore.
7. O. P. Bahl – Served as an IOFS officer. Former Additional Director General Ordnance Factories & Member, Ordnance Factory Board. Awarded Padma Shri in 1972 by the Government of India in the Civil Service category for his efforts during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
8. G. B. Meemamsi – Former ITS officer. Founding Director of C-DOT, also known as the “Father of Rural Automatic Exchange (RAX)”, that revolutionised telecommunication in India. Awarded Padma Shri in 1998 by the Government of India.
9. Satyendra Dubey – Whistle blower against corruption, served as Project Director of the Golden Quadrilateral Project of National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) at Koderma. He was assassinated while exposing corruption which led to huge public uproar. Following the outcry, Parliament of India passed the Whistle Blowers Protection Act, 2011.
10. E. Sreedharan – Former IRSE officer. “Metro Man of India”, Former Chairman & Managing Director of the Konkan Railway, Cochin Shipyard Limited and the Delhi Metro. He retired as the Member of the Indian Railway Board. Awarded Padma Shri and Padma Vibhushan by the Government of India, Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star by the Japanese Government and Légion d’Honneur by the French Government.
These are some well known IES officer who did some great work in the field of engineering & technology. This kind of work from IES officers will surely inspire many UPSC ESE/IES aspirants.
|IES/ESE GS & EA Books
|IES/ESE Guide Books
Click below given links to get further information.
|GATE 2021 Total Info||GATE 2021 Books||Free Notes 2020|
|IES 2021 Total Info||IES 2021 Books||Free Mock Tests 2020|
|JAM 2021 Total Info||JAM 2021 Books||Engg Diploma 2020|
|PSUs 2020 Total Info||M Tech 2020 Total Info||UGC NET 2020 Total Info|