“Can B. Tech. students change their branch in M. Tech. ?
I am from Electronics & Communication can I write GATE exam in Computer Science ?”
You all must have this kind of questions in your mind. Below article will solve this puzzle of yours. Just take a look.”
This is a common question students have asked me several times. I think this post would clear your doubts before you start your preparation for GATE 2017 in different branch other than your B E / B Tech branch. This post would be useful for them to make decision about M Tech through GATE score.
A candidate who want to take admission into M Tech Programme through GATE score need to take two points under consideration :
(1) Eligibility for GATE examination and
(2) Eligibility for M Tech admission.
What GATE Office says about this GATE Paper selection issue :
A candidate can apply for only ONE of the 23 papers listed in the GATE Information Brochure or GATE website. The choice of the appropriate paper is the responsibility of the candidate. Some guidelines in this respect are suggested below.
(1) The candidate is expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree.
(2) The candidate is, however, free to choose any paper according to his/her admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which he/she wishes to seek admission.
From the above statement of GATE office we can conclude that :
(1) A candidate must choose GATE paper related to his/her branch of B E / B Tech course like a candidate from Electronics & Communication Engineering must choose GATE paper of Electronics & Communication Engineering.
If there is no such paper related to your branch of B E / B Tech course then candidate must choose GATE paper related to his/her branch of B E / B Tech course like an Automobile Engineering candidate must choose Mechanical Engineering GATE paper because Mechanical Engineering is closely related to Automobile Engineering.
(2) Candidate is free to choose any GATE paper out of 23 GATE Papers defined by GATE office. But candidate must keep in mind there is only one eligibility criteria for attending GATE exam which is B E / B Tech completed but for getting admission into M Tech Programme there are two criteria (1) B E / B Tech completed & (2) Qualifying GATE exam in appropriate GATE paper related to your B E / B Tech course.
Let’s try to understand this topic from an example :
A student “Ram” from Electronics and Communication Engineering want to take admission into Civil Engineering because he loves construction related work. He appears in GATE exam in Civil Engineering paper, score well enough to get admission into any specialized course of Civil Engineering. Let’s take a close look in this matter. Here I am providing you a list of some specialized course of Civil Engineering like :
(1) M. E. / M. Tech. in Structural Engineering
(2) M. E. / M. Tech. in Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering
(3) M. E. / M. Tech. in Construction Engineering and Management
(4) M. E. / M. Tech. in Construction Engineering
(5) M. E. / M. Tech. in Infrastructure Engineering
(6) M. E. / M. Tech. in Remote Sensing
He went for getting admission into top “X” engineering college in a specialization course of Civil Engineering using his GATE score card. He love construction related work, So he decided to take admission into M Tech in Construction Engineering (one of the specialized course of Civil Engineering). But after getting a good rank in GATE, after attending paper in that branch in which he want to get admission i.e., Civil Engineering, he was not eligible for this particular specialized course of Civil Engineering i.e., Construction Engineering for M. Tech. Programme.
Now you all must have thinking that why ?
Course from 1 to 5 are limited for Civil Engineering graduates. Only Civil Engineering graduates can get admission in these courses. So, Ram was not eligible for courses which are core sub branches of Civil Engineering course.
So, Ram is not eligible for any branch of civil engineering ?
We can not say ‘No’ because Ram graduate from Electronics and Communication Engineering is still eligible in a specialization course of Civil Engineering that is “Remote Sensing”.
Why he was eligible for remote sensing while being not eligible for other branches of civil engineering ?
Remote Sensing is a specialization course of civil engineering in which many other branches are eligible for M. E. / M. Tech. Programme. Some of those are as follows :
(1) Electrical and Electronics Engineering
(2) Electronics and Communication Engineering
(3) Computer Science and Engineering and
(4) Civil Engineering (of course).
Remote Sensing course is closely related to Electronics & Communication Engineering. This is why Electronics & Communication Engineering candidates are eligible for Remote Sensing course under Civil Engineering department. The same case is true for all other branches of engineering.
Must read : Can I Change My B Tech Branch in M Tech
Eligibility criteria and eligible branches of engineering varies institute to institute. Here we are providing you a list of eligible branches of various specialization course of civil engineering in Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur.
Table – 1
|S. No.||Specialization course of civil engineering||Eligible branches of engineering|
|1.||Geoinformatics||B.Tech./B.E. degree in Civil / Mining / Electrical / Computer Science / Electronics Engineering / Information Technology / Geoinformatics, or M.Sc. degree in Earth Science streams or Geography / Physics / Mathematics / Environmental Sciences.|
|2.||Geotechnical Engineering||B.Tech./B.E. degree in Civil Engineering.|
|3.||Hydraulics & Water Resources Engineering||B.Tech./B.E. degree in Civil/Agriculture Engineering.|
|4.||Structural Engineering||B.Tech./B.E. degree in Civil Engineering. Some candidates with Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Building Construction.|
|5.||Transportation Engineering||B.Tech./B.E. degree in Civil / Mechanical / Aerospace Engineering.|
So we can conclude from the above discussion that a candidate who is from civil engineering will only be eligible for core civil engineering specialized courses. Below table will explain you this issue more clearly :
Table – 2
S. No. Candidate’s Education Profile Specialized Branch of Civil Engineering
|Engineering Degree of Candidate||GATE Paper Attended by Candidate||Construction Engineering||Remote Sensing|
|1.||Civil Engineering||Civil Engineering||Eligible||Eligible|
|2.||Electronics & Communication Engineering||Electronics & Communication Engineering||Not Eligible||Eligible|
|3.||Electronics & Communication Engineering||Civil Engineering||Not Eligible||Not Eligible|
We are not saying last combination of Table -2 is not possible. It could be possible :
(1) If Institute in which you want to take admission allow such combination. Which is generally not allowed by most of the Institutes in India.
(2) If you have some experience in the same field in which you want to take admission then your experience will consider majorly.
# Note : Before choosing any GATE paper other than your graduation level (B E / B Tech), you must first visit the Institute where you want to take admission (for higher education/studied like M Tech / P HD) in order to clear your all doubts. Because once you filled and finally submitted GATE 2017 online application form you would not be able to change anything.
Click below given links to get further information.
Be a Part of The New & Next
Share the Knowledge